• I graduated with M. Sc. degree in Agricultural Chemistry and Soil Science from Tashkent Agricultural Institute, Tashkent, USSR, and received my Ph.D. in Agricultural Science from the same institute.
  • In the former Soviet Union, I was an Associate Professor of Plant Science at Tashkent State Agrarian University in the Republic of Uzbekistan. My research program centered around management of cotton, rice, and corn, as well as studying the biology, morphology, physical and chemical properties of soil, physiological aspects of mineral fertilization, and chemical control of weeds.
  • Since March 1992, I have worked in various capacities at Rutgers University. I was a faculty member in the Plant Science Department and did research on Central Asian vegetable breeding. Prior to that, I worked as Post Doctoral Associate in Dr. Ilya Raskin’s Lab on phytoremediation projects which use plants to remove heavy metals from contaminated soils and water. I have also been involved in projects that focus on benefits of Azospirillum in turfgrass culture as well as with mineral fertilization of turfgrasses, beneficial endophytes of grasses, and the use of compost to amend turfgrasses.
  • Recently I have joined the Center for Agriculture and the Environment as an Associate Director of the Central Asia Programs and Associate Group Leader of the ICBG project. This international program will help set the stage for pharmacological bioprospecting, biotechnology, R & D infrastructure, sustainable value-added agriculture, educational activities, and small farm/business productivity in Central Asia. I am coordinating and strengthening the existing research programs, including conducting field research; collecting seeds of targeted species in wild habitats, and initiating country specific breeding programs aimed at crop improvement.

Honors and Awards

• Honorary Professor of Tashkent State Agrarian University, the Republic of Uzbekistan, 1998.

Selected Publications

1. Dey, M., Ripoll, C., Pouleva, R., Dorn, R., Aranovich, I., Zaurov, D., Kurmukov, A., Eliseyeva, M., Belolipov, I., Akimaliev, A., Sodombekov, I., Akimaliev, D., Lila, M. A., and Raskin, I. (2006) Natural product screen using pro-inflammatory gene transcription assay. Phytomedicine, submitted.
  2. Mavlynova, R., Abdullaev, F. Rh., Khojiev, P., Zaurov, D. E., Molnar, T. J., Goffreda, J. C., and Funk, C. R. 2005. Plant genetic resources and scientific activities of the Uzbek Research Institute of Plant Industry. HortScience 40(1): 10-14.
  3. Yezhov, V. N., Smikov, A. V., Smikov, V. K., Hohlov S. U., Zaurov, D. E., Molnar, T. J., and Funk C. R. 2005. Genetic resources of temperate and subtropical fruit and nut species at the Nikita Botanical Garden. HortScience Journal 40(1): 5-9.
  4. Mirzaev, M. M., Djavacynce, U. M., Zaurov, D. E., Goffreda, J. C., Orthon, T. J., Remmers, E. G., and Funk, C. R. 2004. The Schroder Institute in Uzbekistan: breeding and germplasm collection. HortScience 39(5): 917-921.
  5. Buriev, Kh. Ch., Zuev, V. I., Medjitov, S. M., Uldashev, F. M., Dustmuradova, S. I., Djananbekova, A. T., Unusov, S. A., Zaurov, D. E., and T. J. Orton. 2004. Performance of North American Tomato and Cucumber Cultivars in the Republic of Uzbekistan and Summary of 2003 Marketing Results in New Jersey. New Jersey annual vegetable meeting. pp 35-41.
  6. Orton, O., Zaurov, D., and Ballister-Howells, P. 2002. Potential for growing and marketing Central Asian melons in the northeastern U.S. New Jersey annual vegetable meeting. pp.40-41.
  7. Zaurov, D. E., Simon, J. E., Park, Ch., Letchamo, W., Qing-Li Wu, Mingfu Wang, Belolipov, I. V., and Sodombekov, I. 2002. Medicinal plants from Central and Western Asia. Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 10(4): 277-283.
  8. Zaurov, D. E., Murphy, J. A., Perdomo, P., Cabrera, R. and Neyra, C. A. 2002. Turf and forage grasses response to inoculation with Azospirillum brasilense. Agronomy Journal of Uzbekistan No. 4:110-116.
  9. Zaurov, D. E., Bonos, S., Murphy. J. A., Richardson, M., and Belanger, F. 2001. Endophyte infection can contribute to aluminum tolerance in fine fescues. Crop Science 41(6): 1981-1984.
  10. Orton, O., Zaurov, D., and Remmers, E. 2001. Evaluation of Central Asian melons in New Jersey. New Jersey annual vegetable meeting. pp.101-108.
  11. Gentilucci, G., Murphy, J. A., and Zaurov, D. E. 2001. Nitrogen requirement for Kentucky bluegrass grown on compost amended soil. The International Turfgrass Society Research Journal. Vol. 9, part 1. pp 382-387.
  12. Zaurov, D. E., Astanov R. A., and Norkulov, U. 2001. Selection of grass species and cultivars for turf in Uzbekistan. Agronomy Journal of Uzbekistan No. 1(3): 29-33.
  13. Zaurov, D. E., Murphy, J. A., and Neyra, C. A. 2000. Turf grasses response to inoculation with Azospirillum brasilense. Agronomy Journal of Uzbekistan No. 2. pp 24-27.
  14. Richardson, M. D., Cabrera, R., Murphy, J. A., and Zaurov, D. E. 1999. Nitrogen-form and endophyte effects on growth and alkaloid content of chewings fescue turfgrass. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 22(1): 67-79.
  15. Zaurov, D. E., Perdomo, P., and Raskin, I. 1999. Optimizing soil fertility and pH to maximize cadmium removed by Indian mustard from contaminated soils. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 22: 977-985.
  16. Neyra, C. A., Atkinson, A. L., Olubayi, O., Sadasivan, L., Zaurov, D. E., and Zappi, E. 1999. Novel microbial technologies for the enhancement of plants growth and biocontrol of fungal diseases in crops. Mediterranean Colloquium on protected cultivation. (Books Mediterranean Options). V. 31, pp 447-456. Agadir, Morocco.
  17. Murphy, J. A. and Zaurov, D. E. 1994. Shoot and root growth response of perennial ryegrass to fertilizer placement depth. Agronomy Journal, Vol. 86, No. 5. pp 828-832.
  18. Neyra, C. A., Olubayi, O., Zaurov, D. E., and Duell, R. W. 1994. Development of bacterial inoculants for the use on turf, range and pasture grasses. Proceedings of the third annual Rutgers turfgrass symposium. Rutgers University. New Brunswick, NJ. p 28.