Thirumurugan Rathinasabapathy, Postdoctoral Associate
|Ph. D.||2005||Medicinal Chemistry, BITS, Pilani, India.|
|M. Pharm.||2000||Pharmaceutical Chemistry, BHU, Varanasy, India.|
|B. Pharm.||1997||Pharmaceutical Sciences, Madurai Medical College, Tamil Nadu, India.|
- Drug design – Lead optimization of transcriptional modulators (anticancer activity).
- Multi-step synthesis of heterocyclic compounds, drug intermediates, molecular scaffolds for libraries. Process development for known compounds for large scale production and planning new routes for unknown compounds.
- Isolation and characterization of natural products from plant sources.
Professional Skills & Exposure
- Well trained in the synthesis and development of lead molecules to pre-clinical candidates.
- Experience in multi-step synthesis, well-versed with modern synthetic organic chemistry techniques, familiarity with handling air and moisture sensitive reagents.
- Efficient problem solving capabilities in process development; yield improvement and standardization for cost effective process.
- Good practical knowledge in various chromatographic techniques such as column chromatography, Preparative TLC, HPLC (Analytical & Preparative) and FCPC (Fast Centrifugal Partition Chromatography).
- Working experience with Büchi syncore parallel synthesizer, Biostage microwave synthesizer, CombiFlash Companion Flash chromatography, NMR, IR and UV-Visible spectroscopy.
- Experienced in the isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from plant crude extracts.
- Experience in the interpretation of various NMR spectra such as 1H NMR, 13C NMR, DEPT, COSY, HMQC and HMBC.
- Skilled in efficient interpretation of other spectral data such as UV, IR, MS and elemental analysis.
- Working knowledge of databases like ISIS base, Chemdraw, Chemsketch, Alchemy 2000, MDL Crossfire commander, Reaxys, Sci-Finder as well as
scientific information retrieval using internet and also good knowledge of patent search databases and its legal aspects.
- Great exposure to certain screening methods like cell based assays (3T3-L1 & H4IIE cells) and biochemical assay (determination of GABA level in rat brain).
- Experience in common in vitro pharmacological and microbiological assays and have great hands on experimental animal handling.
Honors and Fellowships
- Registered Pharmacist, under the Pharmacy Council of India
- GATE qualified (97.11 percentile, All India Rank – 64)
- Recipient of Junior Research Fellowship (UGC, Govt. of India)
- Recipient of Senior Research Fellowship (CSIR, Govt. of India)
- Member of The American Chemical Society
- Member of Indian Pharmacy Graduates Association
- S. Komarnytsky, D. Esposito, Th. Rathinasabapathy, A. Poulev, and I. Raskin. Effects of Pregnane Glycosides on Food Intake Depend on Stimulation of Melanocortin Pathway and BDNF in Animal Model. J. Agric. Food Chem., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 1841-1849, 2013.
- Esposito, D., Rathinasabapathy, Th., Schmidt, B., Shakarjian, M., Komarnytsky, S., and I. Raskin. Acceleration of cutaneous wound healing by brassinosteroids. Wound Repair and Regeneration, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 688-696, 2013.
- R. Graziose, M. H. Grace, Th. Rathinasabapathy, P. Rojas-Silva, C. Dekock, A. Poulev, M. A. Lila, P. Smith, and I. Raskin. Antiplasmodial activity of cucurbitacin glycosides from Datisca glomerata (C. Presl) Baill. Phytochemistry, Vol. 87, pp. 78-85, March 2013.
- Graziose, R., Rojas-Silva, P., Rathinasabapathy, Th., Dekock, C., Grace, M. H., Poulev, A., Lila, M. A., Smith, P., and I. Raskin. Antiparasitic compounds from Cornus florida L. with activities against Plasmodium falciparum and Leishmania tarentolae. J. of Ethnopharmacology, Vol. 142, No. 2, pp. 456-461, 2012.
- Esposito, D., Rathinasabapathy, Th., Poulev, A., Komarnytsky, S., Raskin, I. Akt-dependent anabolic activity of natural and synthetic brassinosteroids in rat skeletal muscle cells. J. Med. Chem., Vol. 54, No. 12, pp. 4057-4066, 2011
- Graziose, R., Th. Rathinasabapathy, C. Lategan, A. Poulev, P. J. Smith, M. Grace, M. A. Lila, and I. Raskin. Antiplasmodial activity of aporphine alkaloids and sesquiterpene lactones from Liriodendron tulipifera L. J. Ethnopharmacology, Vol. 133, No. 1, pp. 26-30, 2011.
- D. Sriram, P. Yogeeswari, M. Dinakaran, R. Thirumurugan. Antimycobacterial activity of novel 1-(5-cyclobutyl-1,3-oxazol-2-yl)-3 (sub) phenyl / pyridyl thiourea compounds endowed with high activity toward multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J. Antimicrobial Chemother., Vol. 59, pp. 1194-1196, 2007.
- D. Sriram, P. Yogeeswari, R. Thirumurugan, P. Roheeth Kumar. Discovery of newer antitubercular oxazolyl thiosemicarbazones. J. Med. Chem., 49, 3448 – 3450, 2006.
- R. Thirumurugan, D. Sriram, J. P. Stables, A. Saxena, P. Yogeeswari. 2,4-Dimethoxyphenyl semicarbazones with anticonvulsant activity against three animal models of seizure, synthesis and pharmacological evaluation. Bioorg. Med. Chem., 14, 3106 – 3112, 2006.
- P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, J. V. Raghavendran, R. Thirumurugan, S. Induja, J. P. Stables. Synthesis and structure-activity relationship on anticonvulsant arylsemicarbazones. Med. Chem., 2, 55 – 62, 2006.
- P. Yogeeswari, R. Thirumurugan, D. Sriram, L. R. J. Sunil Jit, J. Vaigunda Ragavendran, R. Kavya, K. Rakhra, J. P. Stables. Synthesis of some new semicarbazone derivatives as anticonvulsants with GABA-mediated mechanism. Acta Pharm., 56, 259 – 272, 2006.
- P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, R. Thirumurugan, T. R. Bal. Epibatidine and its analogues as nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist: An Uptate. Nat. Prod. Res., 20, 497 – 505, 2006.
- P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, R. Thirumurugan, J. V. Raghavendran, K. Sudhan, J. P. Stables. Discovery of N-(2,6-dimethylphenyl)-substituted semicarbazones as anticonvulsants effective against various animal models of seizure with GABA-T inhibitory activity. J. Med. Chem., 48, 6202 – 6211, 2005.
- P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, V. Veena, R. Kavya, K. Rakhra, S. Mehta, J. Vaigunda Ragavendran, R. Thirumurugan, J. P. Stables. Synthesis of novel aryl semicarbazones as potential anticonvulsant agents. Biomed. Pharmacother., 59, 51 – 55, 2005.
- D. Sriram, P. Yogeeswari, R. Thirumurugan, T. R. Bal. Camptothecin and its Analogues : A review on their chemotherapeutic potential. Nat. Prod. Res., 19, 393 – 412, 2005.
- P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, R. Thirumurugan, R. Kavya, S. Samuel, J. P. Stables. 3-Chloro-2-methyl phenyl semicarbazones; synthesis and anticonvulsant activity. Eur. J. Med. Chem., 39, 729 – 734, 2004.
- D. Sriram, P. Yogeeswari, R. Thirumurugan. Antituberculous activity of some aryl semicarbazone derivatives. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 14, 3923 – 3924, 2004.
- P. Yogeeswari, J. Vaigunda Raghavendran, R. Thirumurugan, A. Saxena, D. Sriram. Ion channels as important targets for antiepileptic drug design. Curr. Drug Targets, 5, 589 – 602, 2004.
- P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, V. Saraswat, J. Vaigunda Raghavendran, M. Mohan Kumar, S. Murugesan, R. Thirumurugan, J. P. Stables. Synthesis and anticonvulsant and neurotoxicity evaluation of N4 – phthalimido phenyl (thio) semicarbazides. Eur. J. Pharm. Sci., 20, 341 – 346, 2003.
- P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, A. Brahmandam, I. Sridharan, R. Thirumurugan, J. P. Stables. Synthesis of novel aryl semicarbazones as anticonvulsants with GABA-mediated mechanism. Med. Chem. Res., 12, 57 – 68, 2003.
- R. Thirumurugan, S. Kavimai, R. S. Srivastava. Anti-tumour activity of Rhinacanthone against Dalton’s Ascitic Lymphoma, Biol. Pharm. Bull., 23(12), 1438 – 1440, 2000.
- Graziose, R., Grace, M. H., Rathinasabapathy, Th., Rojas-Silva, P., Dekock, C.,Poulev, A., Lila, M. A., Smith, P. J., and I. Raskin. New cucurbitacin glycosides from Datisca glomerata with antiplasmodial and cytotoxic activities. Poster presentation at the International Congress on Natural Products Research (ICNPR), July 28 – August 1, New York, NY, 2012.
- R. Thirumurugan, D. Sriram, P. Yogeeswari. Design and synthesis of novel aryl semicarbazone derivatives as anticonvulsants with GABA and glycine mediated mechanism. International symposium on drug discovery and process research, Shivaji University, Kolhapur – 416004, January 23 – 25, 2003.
- J. Vaigunda Ragavendran, R. Thirumurugan, I. Sridharan, D. Sriram, P. Yogeeswari. 4-Amino butyrate amino transferase (GABA-T) inhibition as a possible mechanism of some novel anticonvulsant aryl semicarbazones. 55th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, Chennai, December, 19 – 21, 2003.
- R. Kavya, R. Thirumurugan, D. Sriram, P. Yogeeswari. Pharmacological evaluation of aryl(heteroaryl) semi(thio)carbazones for CNS activity. 55th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, Chennai, December 19 – 21, 2003.
- I. Sridharan, B. Archana, R. Thirumurugan, P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram. γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) level studies on novel anticonvulsant compounds in rat brain tissue preparation. 54th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, Pune, December 13 – 15, 2002.
- K. Jyothi Mallika, R. Thirumurugan, N. S. Chakravarthy, P. Yogeeswari, D. Sriram. Tetrahydro-2H-1,3,5-thiadiazine-5-(4-Pyridyl carboxamide)-2-thione derivatives as prodrugs for isoniazid: synthesis and antituberculous activity. 54th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, Pune, December, 13 – 15, 2002.