Translation of Ungaretti’s “Veglia” & “Soldati”

(It is very evident reading over Ungaretti’s poetry that he is a man touched by war. Many of his works glorify such a disturbing practice and recall the personal instances of death and despair that Ungaretti can do little else other than accept.)

Veglia 

Un’intera nottata

buttato vicino

a un compagno 

massacrato

con la sua bocca 

digrignata

volta al plenilunio, 

con la congestione 

delle sue mani 

penetrata

nel mio silenzio

ho scritto

lettere piene d’amore.

Non sono mai stato 

tanto

attaccato alla vita.

• Commentary 

In his poem, “Veglia”, Ungaretti recounts the death of a fellow comrade and the rushed, informal mourning that commences. He describes briefly the man’s corpse and the eeriness and stillness of the night around him. Not surprisingly, the soldier’s death sparks a sudden love for life in Ungaretti. Stylistically, it is written in such a way that specific and meaningful words, like “massacarto” or “digrignata,” stand out. Ungaretti uses metaphors and imagery well here, especially in portraying the corpse as less than human, almost animal-like. Perhaps the most relevant feature of the poem, is the romantic metaphor in which he compares the outpouring of emotion in “letters filled with love” to describe the overall experience.

• Literal Translation

Vigil 

An entire night 

Thrown nearby 

To a fellow

Slaughtered 

With a mouth 

Clenched 

Once a full moon

With the congestion 

Of his hands

Penetrated 

In my silence

I wrote

Letters full of love.

I have never been 

As 

Attached to life.

• Communicative Translation

Vigil

An entire night long 

Crouched close

To a companion

Slaughtered 

Mouth 

Clenched 

Up at the full moon

With the congestion 

Of his hands

Thrust

Into my silence

I have written

Letters full of love.

I have never held  

So

Hard to life

• Explanation

As a translator, there were a few interjections I made so that the poem would make more sense grammatically. I also modified the word choice here and there because, in order to preserve what Ungaretti meant, I had to abandon some of the original Italian. For instance, whereas “buttato vicino,” translates directly to “thrown nearby,” Ungaretti instead intended this line to portray the soldier’s positioning over the dead comrade. 

Soldati

Si sta come

D’autunno

sugli alberi 

le foglie.

• Commentary

In his poem, “Soldati” Ungaretti likens soldiers to the death and decay of leaves during the fall season. Life on  the battlefield is fleeting, and many of Ungaretti’s comrades are being shed. Like leaves, the soldiers fall. Stylistically, the poem is written in anticipation of the last line, which also serves as the most relevant feature of the poem. When Ungaretti draws the final metaphor of the soldiers being akin to leaves, the references to autumn and the trees become distinctly relevant. Impressively, in the short four-lined poem, he is able to employ three separate metaphors. 

• Literal Translation

Soldiers

We are

Of autumn

On trees

The leaves. 

• Communicative Translation

Soldiers

We are

Autumnal 

On the trees, 

As the leaves.

• Explanation 

As a translator, I only modified the literal translation slightly in order to make the overall meaning a little more clear. By changing “of autumn” to “autumnal” Ungaretti’s interpretation of the soldiers as being homogeneous to the decay of the fall season is better understood. I also interjected the words “the” and “on” for clarity.