Veglia and Soldati Translated

Giuseppe Ungaretti is an Italian poet, and is famous for his poems, some of which were influenced by the World War I and II. I will translateVeglia and Soldati. My translation process will consist of analyzing the poems, creating literal translation, then creating a more communicative translation, and finally I will be explaining the choices I made as a translator. 

1. Veglia

Original

Veglia

Un’intera nottata 

buttato vicino 

a un compagno 

massacrato 

con la sua bocca 

digrignata volta al plenilunio, 

con la congestione 

delle sue mani 

penetrata 

nel mio silenzio 

ho scritto 

lettere piene d’amore. 

Non sono mai stato 

tanto 

attaccato alla vita.

The poem is about Ungaretti writing a poem about him being up and writing about  a friend of his who has died. The word “massacrato” in the 4th line is interesting in the poem because a part of meaning “killed”, it also means that perhaps Ungaretti’s friends’ words were used against him. The word “congestione” creates a challenge, because in the Italian dictionary means that there is excess blood in an organ, perhaps a symbolic meaning to the friend being slightly purple in color due to death. The last few lines “Non sono mai stato tanto attaccato alla vita” literally means “I have never been so attached to life”, but “attaccato alla vita” is means that Ungaretti realizes he was very close to this person. 

Literal Translation 

Vigil

A whole night

thrown close

to a friend

massacred

with his mouth

gnashing

at times at the full moon

with the congestion

for his hands

penetrates

in my silence

I wrote

letters full of love.

I never stayed

so 

attached to life.

Communicative Translation

Vigil

A whole night 

thrown close

to a friend

slaughtered

by his own mouth

which were clenching teeth 

at the moon,

with the paleness

of his hands

penetrated

me in my silence

and I wrote

letters filled of love.

I have never been

so 

attached to life.

In the final communicative translation I made a few changes. I changed “congestion” in the literal translation with “paleness”. I also changed “gnashing” with “clenching of teeth” because I felt it embodied the idea of his friend suffering, more than “gnashing” did, and that is what I thought to be in the spirit of the source text. There was some translation loss, because there was loss of the ambiguous language that Ungaretti uses in his poems, that make his poems so rich in context. 

2. Soldati

Original

Soldati

Si sta come 

d’autunno 

sugli alberi 

le foglie.

The title of the poem is “Soldiers”, however, the poem does not use that word or any word related to war. The poem states that is it like autumn with leaves falling. It is referencing how the leaves fall, the soldiers fall. 

Literal Translation

Soldiers

It is like 

in autumn

on the trees

the leaves.

Communicative Translation

Soldiers

We are like 

the autumn 

leaves on

the trees.

In this translation I kept the same idea of the source text. One thing I did differently from the literal/ST was to put the word “leaves” in the 3rd line and “trees” on the 4th line, almost switching the two lines,  just so it can make grammatical sense in English. I think this translation has very minimal translation loss.