Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery
Amit Singla, MD is a neurosurgeon at New Jersey Medical School, Rutgers University with interests in General Neurosurgery including brain and spine tumors, trauma and degenerative conditions. He specializes in the treatment of vascular disorders of the brain and spine, including carotid stenosis, cerebral aneurysms, vascular malformations and stroke. He has special interests in acute stroke management with mechanical thrombectomy, as well as endovascular and surgical management of extracranial and intracranial vascular stenosis. Dr. Singla completed his neurosurgery residency at SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY. Thereafter, he completed the fellowship in Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Then he worked as a general neurosurgeon at Covenant Medical Center, Waterloo, Iowa where his practice predominantly involved spine disorders. He has been grateful to the hospital staff for the opportunity to provide health care to the community there. To get more experience in vascular disorders of the brain and spine, he did another Vascular Neurosurgery fellowship at Swedish Medical Center, Seattle before joining as an Assistant Professor at Rutgers University.
Having a passion for both clinical and basic science research, learning and teaching apart from the primary goal of providing good clinical care to the patients he is excited to be here at Rutgers University.
He serves as a reviewer for World Neurosurgery and Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. He has over 40 peer-reviewed publications and 10 book chapters.
- Brain regeneration after traumatic brain injury and stroke
- Pathogenesis of vasospasm after Aneurysmal Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Improving acute stroke care with innovative approaches and novel devices.
- Singla A, Ryan A, Bennett DL, Streit JA, Mau B, Rozek M, Hitchon PW. Non-infectious Thoracic Discitis: A Diagnostic and Management Dilemma Report of Two Cases with Review of Literature. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, In Print.
- Singla A, Deshaies EM, Melnyk V, Toshkezi G, Swarnkar A, Choi H, Chin LS. Controversies in the role of preoperative embolization in meningioma management. Neurosurg Focus. 2013 Dec;35(6):E17. doi: 10.3171/2013.9.FOCUS13351. Review.
- King B., Vaziri S., Singla A., KM Fargen, J Mocco. Clinical and angiographic outcomes after stent-assisted coiling of cerebral aneurysms with Enterprise and Neuroform stents: a comparative analysis of the literature. Journal of neurointerventional surgery 7 (12), 905-909
- Singla A., Villwock MR, Riordan MA, Padalino DJ, Deshaies EM. Time-dependent changes in cerebrospinal fluid metal ions following aneurysm subarachnoid hemorrhage and their association with cerebral vasospasm. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2015;120:63-8. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-04981-6_11.
- Singla A., Leineweber B, Monteith S, Oskouian RJ, Tubbs RS. The anatomy of concussion and chronic traumatic encephalopathy: A comprehensive review. Clin Anat. 2019 Apr;32(3):310-318. doi: 10.1002/ca.23313. Epub 2018 Dec 21. Review.