Comments from Rome 2023 co-hort

Would you recommend the RU in Rome Program? Why?
Comments
Yes, I learned so many life skills, but even though I was thrust into the culture and language of a new country, I never felt
overwhelmed because I always knew I had the RU in Rome teachers to help me.

Absolutely. It was the best month of my life. I loved that I was able to see all the sites that I have dreamed about seeing with school, so I was able to learn the most about them. I love that I also had free time to explore and learn about myself as a traveler. The professors are all great and are so focused on the success of us students. I truly do not have a bad thing to say about my experience on this trip, and I am trying my hardest to come back next year!!

I would absolutely recommend the RU in Rome Program, as it provided me a wonderful experience, and allowed me to make
connections with other Rutgers students, which I would not have been able to do if I was at another study abroad program without exclusively Rutgers students.

I had thought that a month away from home would feel like a lifetime, but I had never experienced so much in such a short amount of time. This trip to Italy was the first time I had ever gotten on a plane or even left the country. Being in Rome (and a few other cities) for a month with a whole bunch of strangers I had never even talked to is definitely something that I never really planned on doing, though I am very grateful for this experience. Make sure to do as much as you can, but also give yourself some time to recharge and reflect. For me, the first two weeks hit me like a truck lol. I was constantly doing something every day from 8 am to 8 pm. I recommend taking photos of everything or maybe even journaling.

Being immersed in Italy and being able to experience it’s culture, history, and beautiful monuments was such an unimaginable feeling. It was not only fun, but it encouraged me to bring what I learned in class into the real world everyday.

It is an amazing experience that helps you learn more not only about yourself but about the life around you.

I would recommend the program because while it is intense because you are learning a lot in four weeks, it’s incredible to be
immersed in the cultural that you are learning about.

Yes, it is an amazing experience. I loved what I learned and who I met.

Yes, because it was a very informative and culturally immersive experience where I felt both a stronger connection to Rome and
Rutgers by the end of it.

Yes! It has been a life changing experience. The instructors are great at teaching, but even more than that they are a great support system for students. The program packed a lot into one month, but it has been the best month of my life.

I would recommend it, I’ve met so many kind and interesting people that I would gladly see in the US. I’m grateful to have been a part of this journey with all of them.

Food.
What do you like best about this course?

I learned a great deal in this course. I had a strong prior interest in the subject matter and
wanted to take this course.
Comments
I liked that we were in an actual kitchen and were able to experience the cuisine and culture of Italy firsthand. I also liked that our instructors showed great interest in our progress and instruction. I’ll keep in mind everything he taught me and focus on breaking down my problems into small parts. I felt lost and unsure where to begin but thanks to him I feel ready to come back to the US and start working.

this course was multifaceted in terms of what we do throughout the course. Its never the same boring thing which is great.
I loved the way that it was set up.

My favorite part of this course was definitely when we discussed the culture of the food while we prepared it. Focusing on where the food came from while we cooked it gave me a greater appreciation for what we were making, and allowed me to feel more connected to the authentic processes of cooking we learned.

ART HISTORY:

What I liked best about this course was Margo Weitzman. She is truly one of my favorite professors, and I learned so much about the culture and history of Italy that I feel confident to return.

The group nature of the class and the discussions generated a lot of interest.

My favorite part of art history were the site visits which allowed me to experience the course work in context of their creation. I loved that we were able to explore and process the content at our own pace while learning.

I loved being able to learn in a group setting, in person with the art. Being able to analyze the works of art up close and connect it to art’s history was such an amazing experience.

Language.

I liked Professor Jacob’s ability to create a safe environment throughout the course. I always felt like I could talk to him about subject materials without any judgment.

Professor Jacobs’s unique way of tying current events/conversations within the group into that day’s lesson. I always looked forward to class because I knew that it wouldn’t feel like school, but rather an intellectual conversation, which I find is the best way for me to learn.

Professor Jacobs made the content fun while we learned the basics of a new language. Overall he helped make the experience
enjoyable.

I liked that it was able to incorporate where we are to get us to really delve into the culture and learn the language.

I loved learning Italian, but also being in an environment where I can apply it to my day to day life and practice using it around the area.

I liked how Steven would give us time to go through our experiences in Rome and answer questions we had about the situations.
The course had a very holistic approach to learning the language, which I greatly appreciated. The focus was less on building
vocabulary and grammar skills, and more about becoming comfortable speaking the language in conversation, and the skills
developed through feeling comfortable and repeatedly speaking in Italian.