Perspectives from students who have worked on advanced, independent research projects (i.e., Cooper Fellowship, Aresty Research, honors thesis) in Social Psychology labs:

Click the drop-down arrow for each question to read students’ responses!

How did you get involved in your independent research? What did the process look like?
  • “I become involved with independent research after reading more about the lab’s previous publications, getting an idea to pitch to one of the grad students I was working with at the time. The key was to have a good amount of research interest overlap with the grad students available to assist with the project, while also adding something new enough that would be valuable to explore. After emailing a few thoughts, we had met to discuss the study design and proposal deadlines. From there, we developed a rapport so that we kept on track with research deadlines that realistically fit both our schedules (Cooper final report submission deadline). It’s important to be honest about what you don’t know or what you’re struggling with so that you can be advised accordingly, as I had learned. It was a good balance of learning the ropes while also being taught how to think like a researcher.” – Izilda P., completed a Cooper, Aresty, and honors thesis, CRIS Lab
  • “In the Nicolas Lab, i was first assigned to complete a literature review in the field of social psychology. I chose a topic that I found interesting from my social psychology class sophomore year. I fell in love with the subject and used my literature review to help complete my research proposal.” – Megan R., completing an honors thesis, Nicolas Lab

What have you learned or gained from your time working on your independent project(s)?
  • “Working on my independent projects fostered a love for research that influenced my decision to pursue a PhD in psychology. I learned more about the research process in general and how to think like a scientist to come up with new research ideas and tie the research that I was conducting into a broader social context. Conducting research myself also helped me learn how to be a better consumer of research and how to think critically about other studies and papers.” – Jessica P., completed a Cooper, Aresty, and honors thesis, CRIS Lab
  • “I have learned a great deal about workflow management and developing the theoretical foundations of a theory or research project. In these research positions, I was also exposed to types of analytical methods, and had the opportunity to apply what I learned to the Cooper Fellowship and Honors Thesis project.” – Nicholas Z., completed a Cooper and an honors thesis, CRIS Lab
  • “I had developed my research interests, which clued in what kind of work I wanted to do post-undergrad. Also gained foundational and practical knowledge of statistical analysis programs, designing effective surveys in Qualtrics, data wrangling in general, and manuscript writing. It’s an invaluable experience that isn’t afforded in most classroom settings.” – Izilda P., completed a Cooper, Aresty, and honors thesis, CRIS Lab

What advice would you give to an undergraduate interested in completing an independent research project in a social psychology lab?
  • “Apply to a lab as early as possible! This will give you time to investigate different subjects before you must focus in on one for an independent project.” – Megan R., completing an honors thesis, Nicolas Lab, RAMP Lab
  • “I would tell them to be ambitious and to try and be involved in and hands-on with the whole process as possible to really learn and understand more about the research process and your specific study. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and take advantage of the fact that you have so many incredible mentors. They have a lot of knowledge and great advice about research and helping you get ready for grad school or a career after graduation.” – Jessica P., completed a Cooper, Aresty, and honors thesis, CRIS Lab
  • “My mentor gave me advice I still use to this day: whatever time you think something will take you, allow yourself double the time to work on it. Having conducted an independent research project while working, attending classes, and helping out with family definitely required setting consistent time out of my schedule to work productively.” – Izilda P., completed a Cooper, Aresty, and honors thesis, CRIS Lab
  • “Make sure you are genuinely interested in the thesis topic or else it won’t feel as rewarding or exciting.” – Allison E., completed a Cooper and an honors thesis, RAMP Lab

Social Psychology Research Labs: