I served on numerous committees for the American Society of Zoologists (now Society of Comparative and Integrative Biology), including the Public Affairs Committee and the Congressional Fellow Committee in the 1980s, and was active on committees in the American Fisheries Society in the 1980s. I served on the Public Affairs Committee of the Ecological Society of America, and the Government Affairs Committee of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC). I was later elected to the Board of SETAC. I was a member of the Biology Section of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and later was elected to Chair of the Section around the turn of the century. I served on the board of the Association for Women in Science (AWIS) in the early 2000s. I served on various committees for the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) in the 1980s, including the Congressional Fellow Committee and Public Affairs Committee, and was elected to the Board and eventually elected President of AIBS for 2001.

In addition to serving on numerous Rutgers committees for the department, college, and university, I evaluated promotion materials for many other institutions, and did site visits evaluating biology programs and environmental science or Environmental Studies programs of many colleges and universities around the country.