Educational Impact Statement

Through the care of patients as an infectious diseases physician, I have become acutely aware of the structural factors that shape health outcomes, and the health disparities that disproportionately affect socially marginalized populations. I have witnessed the impact of stigma and poverty on the epidemiology of communicable diseases and the lack of access to high-quality, equitable healthcare. My passion for caring for patients affected by these socially-induced illnesses has translated into medical education philosophy focused on transforming the way we view and care for patients—guiding students in developing a critical consciousness that values equity, humanism, and population health, and inspires them to transform the patient narrative from one of suffering to one of wellness and prosperity. My goal is to inspire future generations of physicians to create a system and a way of practice that leverages the social sciences and community-informed interventions to forge a path to greater health equity.