Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery
I am an Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at Rutgers University-New Jersey Medical School in Newark, NJ. I specialize in treating complex disorders of the spine, but also maintains a general neurosurgery practice. I received my medical degree from New York Medical College in Valhalla, NY. I completed my neurosurgical residency at NYMC/Westchester Medical Center, during which I also completed an enfolded complex spine fellowship. Additionally, I completed a post-residency fellowship in complex spinal surgery and deformity at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA. I also received specialized training in pediatric deformity at Shriners Hospital for Children-Philadelphia. I have lent his spine and neurological surgery expertise to numerous publications and book chapters, as well as several abstracts and presentations.
I believe in an individualized, patient-centered, and disease-specific approach in tailoring the proper spinal care for each patient. I employ the latest in spinal navigation technologies and surgical techniques.
- Cervical Myelopathy
- Spinal cord injury
- Quality improvement in Elective Spinal Surgery
- Infection Prevention in Spinal Surgery
- Neil J, Gillick J, Das K; Surgical Treatment of Odontoid Fractures: A Review; Current Orthopaedic Practice, 23:166-171, 2012
- Gillick J, Wainwright J, Das K; Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Cervical Spine: A Review on the Role of Surgery; International Journal of Rheumatology, 2015:252456, 2015. PMCID: 26351458
- Ruzicka J, Machova-Urdzikova L, Gillick J, Amemori T, Romanyuk N, Karova K, Zaviskova K, Dubisova J, Kubinova S, Murali R, Sykova E, Jhanwar-Uniyal M, Jendelova P; A Comparative Study of Three Different Types of Stem Cells for Treatment of Rat Spinal Cord Injury; Cell Transplant, 26:585-603, 2017. PMCID: 27938489
- Stricsek G, Gillick J, Rymarczuk G, Harrop JS. Managing the Complex Patient with Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy: How to Handle the Aging Spine, the Obese Patient, and Individuals with Medical Comorbidities; Neurosurgery Clinics of North America, 2018 Jan;29(1):177-184. PMCID: 29173431
- Gillick JL and Heary RF; Chapter 366: Evaluation, Indications, and Techniques of Revision Spine Surgery; Youmans and Winn Neurological Surgery, 8th Edition; Winn HR (Ed.); Submitted/Accepted; Elsevier, New York, NY; 2019
- Gillick JL and Prasad SK; Chapter 17: Comprehensive Review of Spinal Cord Injury Pharmacology and Recent Medical Advances in Treatment; Neurotrauma and Critical Care of the Spine, 2nd Edition; Vaccaro AR and Jallo JI (Eds.); Sumbitted/Accepted; Thieme Publishers, New York, NY; 2017
- Sabourin V, Gillick JL, Harrop JS; Chapter 54: Instrumentation related complications; Complications in Neurosurgery, 1st Edition; Anil Nanda (Ed.); Submitted/Accepted; Elsevier, New York, NY; 2017
- Gillick JL, Harrop JS; Chapter 17: Posterior Laminoforaminotomy for Radiculopathy; Degenerative Cervical Myelopathy and Radiculopathy: Treatment Approaches and Options, 1st Edition; Fehlings MG, Haid RW, Kaiser MG, Shaffrey CI (Eds.); Submitted/Accepted; Springer Science, New York, NY; 2017