My First Impression of Foreigners

(Transcribed by Evan Feldman and Emily Sun)

When I was a child, I was told by all around me that all foreigners are very much different from us, and that they have the character of wild beasts rather than that of men, and also that their object of coming our country are to make it poor and finally to take it. Inspired with these ideas together with many others that embittered our passions, I thought it would be my duty to drive these evils out of the country if I could. But I never saw a foreigner until I came Tokei about three years ago, and it was for the first time that I saw a foreigner in Shiba. He was a stout and noble-looking gentleman, and my impression was very good; since that time I have fixed the opinion in my mind that foreigners are nothing less than men not more, but they are simply men as we are. While I was staying in Tokei, I saw many foreign books and other things which revealed me their superiority in arts and sciences. After returning home my sincere desire to study English which I believed the best in arts and sciences, led me to sacrifice all my enjoyments in family; and thus I left Sitzoka for Tokei.–This was about two years ago. Now my past feelings gave the way for the cordial friendship with which I became acquainted with foreigners. 

N. Kishiro