August 2022

08/25/2022

RE: Undergraduate Updates

Dear BME Undergraduates,

Hello students! I hope everyone is enjoying the summer and looking forward to returning in the fall! I know several of
you are doing co-ops and internships, but I also hope you are making time for rest and relaxation!
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to our incoming SOPHOMORES. Welcome to BME! I am Dr.
Kristen Labazzo, the Undergraduate Program Director. I am also a teaching professor in the department. I work closely with the undergraduate program administrator, Ms. Linda Johnson, our department chair, Dr. David Shreiber, and Vice-
Chair Dr. Charlie Roth. Ms. Linda and I will be your main points of contact for special permission numbers and other logistics.

PLEASE familiarize yourself with the BME Handbook as this contains critical information regarding pre-reqs, course
offerings, how to receive technical elective credits for research, co-ops and internships, and other special programs such
as the Research Scholars Academy and Combined Degree Program.
https://bme.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/Handbook.pdf

I also email out regular Undergraduate Newsletters. Please be sure to read them, as they will include information
addressing registration concerns, elective offerings, internship/co-op openings and other topics that are important at
the moment, for example; if there are changes to any policies regarding Covid-19.
Some other important notes:
• A Sophomore Orientation is being planned for Friday Sept 23rd. This will be held during Intro to BME so students
registered for that class will be in attendance, however all sophomores are invited. If your schedule allows, it is
STRONGLY encouraged for you to attend this orientation as I will review important policies in our department
and introduce our programs, research, faculty and clubs. There may be some surprises and treats as well 🙂 Iyou cannot attend, you must schedule a meeting with me to ensure you are familiar with our department and
policies. I want to make sure all of our students are equipped with the right tools to make the most of your time
in BME and set you up for success!
• If interested in our co-op program, an info session will be held in the fall. Our program is geared towards
sophomores, so you will receive information once the semester starts.
• You will soon be assigned an advisor who will be your advisor for your duration in BME. This is a member of the
BME faculty who will be your first point of contact for questions or concerns. If there is a question that they
cannot answer, they will know who can best assist you.
• The Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) has a great GroupMe where students offer valuable tips, answer
questions, and where I chime in, too! Please join via this QR code!

JUNIORS, welcome back! This is a critical year for you as you take most of your core courses. We offer all the core classes
(except labs) both semesters; in order to keep the core classes to around half the class size, please ensure you are
registered for 3 core classes plus the lab class this fall. If not, you risk not getting into a class you need in the spring if it
reaches capacity. As of now, there are still spots available in Biomaterials, Biomechanics, and Kinetics and Thermo.
As a reminder, please be mindful of the requirement to take senior design, which is: you must pass 6/8 junior classes
INCLUDING the 2 labs; Devices in the fall and Measurements in the spring. You CANNOT take senior design, which is a
full-year course, without meeting this requirement. Keep in mind that passing 6/8 core is a MINIMUM requirement and
is more of a safety net for students who may have to retake a class, or for students doing co-ops. By carrying junior core
to senior year, you risk conflicts with senior electives you may have been excited to take, and other inconveniences.

SENIORS, you made it!! This is the big year, and you are the largest senior class to date! We are so excited to have you
back, and to work with you on your senior design projects! Throughout the year, I will post information about job
offerings, career fairs and other professional development opportunities so be on the lookout.
To help you plan your departmental electives, this is the list of classes that we plan to offer in the Spring of 2023 (keep in
mind that last-minute changes can always occur):

• 409 Introduction to Prosthetics-Dr. Jason Maikos (U.S. Dept. of Veteran Affairs)
• 411 Bioelectrical Systems-Li
• 431 Optical Imaging-Boustany
• 434 Tissue Engineering II-Freeman
• 455 Global Health-Pierce
• 470 Advanced Biomedical Devices Lab- Drzewiecki
• 499 Cell Culture Techniques-Vazquez

As a reminder, all 3-credit graduate-level courses can also count as DEs. In order to be considered for a graduate course,
you MUST follow these instructions:
a. Have a 3.0 GPA
b. GET PERMISSION FROM THE INSTRUCTOR IN AN EMAIL
c. Forward that email to Mr. Larry Stromberg, graduate program administrator, for your SPN. les42@soe.rutgers.edu

If Mr. Stromberg is out of office, please contact Dr. Freeman for the SPN
Failure to follow any of these steps will risk a delay in your request and possibly missing getting into a class!

FALL 2022 SEMESTER
A reminder that the semester starts Tuesday September 6th.

MEET YOUR UNDERGRADUATE DIRECTOR
If you wish to speak with me, please do not hesitate to email me and set up an appointment at your convenience!
kristen.labazzo@rutgers.edu

Enjoy the last few weeks of summer, and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns!

Regards,

Kristen Labazzo