Judy Blume’s Banned Books

I can’t even begin to express just how impactful Judy Blume’s books have been to me throughout my life. The fact that they have been on banned book lists from the time she started writing them makes me shocked, sad and downright infuriated. As a pre-teen, reading books like Iggie’s House, Blubber, Deenie,and Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret helped me realize I was not alone with the changes happening to my body and the feelings I was experiencing. They also gave me context to help understand and process some of the issues faced by other kids.

For the past fifty years, Blume has helped countless numbers of other young people navigate difficult topics ranging from puberty, body image and sexual curiosity to religion, divorce, bullying and even death. Even though some references might be outdated (sanitary napkin belts anyone?), her characters are relatable, and the messages ring true today, providing comfort during the difficult process of growing up. Between raging hormones, peer pressure, feelings of insecurity and self-perception, childhood and adolescence can be a very bumpy ride. It is a wonder we get through it all. That’s where books can help, especially during our formative years when we are really trying to figure out ourselves, other people and where and how we fit into the world.

My middle school girlfriends and I pored over Blume’s books with a fine tooth comb, reading passages and references to each other. We ate them up. It was so helpful to have these “reference guides,” especially during a time when there wasn’t necessarily a huge amount of discourse about topics such as getting your period and having sex. Ironically, this is why they were (and still are) banned. I was so impressed and affected by her stories that I made sure to share these books with my own daughter. Books (banned or not) can be a wonderful parenting tool, and when they ARE banned, WHY they are banned often becomes part of the lesson.

And I found some of Blume’s books ended up maturing right along with me. Books like Forever and Then Again, Maybe I Won’t were must-reads during my teen-age years. My friends and I would pass around copies and then discuss the juicy parts after school and at sleepovers. As I grew into an adult, I have enjoyed her “grown-up” books such as Smart Women, Summer Sisters and In the Unlikely Event.

It’s tough to imagine what my childhood and adolescence would have been like without these cherished stories and characters. Luckily, I was able to gain access to Blume’s books without any problems and never knew back then about the challenges she faced in terms of book banning. As per her website:

“Judy’s knowing voice and honesty come with a price: the American Library Association has consistently placed Blume at or near the top of its list of authors most frequently banned. In turn, she has championed intellectual freedom by working diligently with the National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC) to support teachers and librarians who fight to keep challenged books on their shelves.”

Bravo, Judy, you rock!

From Rutgers University Libraries

Other books by Judy Blume that can be found in the Rutgers Library collection include:

Related posts and resources